Repackaging and Migration Workshop
This AdminStudio – Repackaging and Migration Workshop training course will teach you to use AdminStudio to repackage traditional setups into Windows Installer packages and customise those packages to meet specific needs.
In this course, you will also gain experience in creating transforms for existing third-party MSI packages and identifying and resolving conflicts between packages before deploying your applications.
In this class you will learn:
- How the Windows OS supports and interacts with Windows Installer (.msi) packages.
- How to prepare your development & test/clean systems and documentation for the application repackaging and migration process.
- How to use AdminStudio’s Repackager to convert traditional setups to Windows Installer (.msi) format.
- How to enhance and customise repackaged setups and to correct validation errors
- How to use AdminStudio’s Application Catalogue and TestCenter to identify and resolve potential conflicts between packages and OS SOE’s before deployment into your desktop environment.
- How to use AdminStudio’s Tuner to customise the installation of existing Windows Installer setups — such as third-party installations — to meet your company-specific requirements.
Receive 15% off list price when booking three or more employees from the same company
(Special discounts are not applicable to onsite courses and only apply to public training courses. Offer not applicable to prior purchases. Discount offers may not be combined. To receive a discount, please request in the “comments” field of the online registration form or mention when placing a phone order)
Previous AdminStudio experience is not required; however, you should be comfortable with the following:
- Using Windows Explorer and the command prompt to create and manage files and run executables
- Basic Windows terminology (e.g. DLL, Control Panel, etc.)
Introduction and Overview
- Windows Installer Background
- Features and Benefits of Windows Installer
- Format of a Windows Installer Installation
- Windows Installer Concepts and Terminology
- Windows OS Services and Features that support and control Windows Installer technology
- How Self Repair works (What triggers/controls it and the Registry and File system artefacts involved)
- Advertising and Elevated Privileges
- AdminStudio Tools
- Overview of the Application Migration Process
- Identifying Vendors Supplied Package types and their format (Setup.exe wrappers on .msi)
Microsoft Windows Installer – Best Practices
- Understanding Windows Installer Best Practices
- How Best Practices are enforced by AdminStudio tools
Preparing for Application Migration
- Creating the Storage Structure
- Defining Your Standard Images
- Project Documentation
- Copying Repackager to a Network Drive
- Global Exclusion Lists
- Determining if an installation needs to be Repackaged or if it’s contents include an .msi(s) which can be used
- Preparing Workflow Templates and Projects
- Repackager Best Practices
- Using the Repackager IDE
- Repackager IDE Tools Menu
- Using Installation Monitoring to Repackage an Application
- Repackager Output
- Reviewing the Repackaged Data
- Running Repackager In Snapshot Mode
- Introduction to the AdminStudio Virtualisation Package
- Converting a Windows Installer Package to Microsoft App-V
Testing the Repacked Install
- Running MSI Installations
- Testing Guidelines
- Setting Editor Options
- General Information
- Working with Application Data
- Path Variables
- Registry Data
- INI Files
- Environment Variables
- Per-Application Paths
- Building Releases
- Validating the MSI Package
- Creating Templates
- Understanding Release Build option and types
- How to build compressed or uncompressed .msi files
- How to ensure a “Setup.exe” wrapper is not produced
Advanced Editor Topics
- Searching for Files
- Direct Editor
- Handling Locked-Down Environments
- Suppressing and/or dealing with application behaviour (suppress license agreement, unwanted dialogs, compatibility warnings, etc)
- Pre-population User Profile data (File System and Registry) for User accounts created Post Installation/Deployment
Application Management and Conflict Solving
- Application Catalogue
- Importing Merge Modules
- Working with Groups
- Creating and Importing OS Snapshots
- Identifying Conflicts and Importing MSI Databases
- Defining Custom Ace Rules
- Sharing Application Catalogue Data
- Command-Line Options
- Introduction to the Application Compatibility Pack (Automatically asses an applications compatibility with Windows 7-10 / Server 2008-2019) and see reports on any issues which will cause an application to fail on the new Operating systems.
Testing and Best Practices Application Isolation
- Application Isolation Techniques
- Using the Application Isolation Wizard
- Windows Installer Sequences
- Where and when to insert Custom Actions
- Custom Action Scheduling Options
- The Custom Actions View
- Common Custom Action Types – Set Properties, Launch Executable, Run VBScript.
- Conditioning Custom Actions to control when they run
Tuning an MSI Package
- Introduction to InstallShield Tuner
- Creating a Response Transform
- Editing the Transform Using Tuner
- Applying a Transform
- Understanding the factors required for an Upgrade to work properly
- GUID’s and Version Number settings
- Defining the Upgrade behaviours (Upgrade to uninstall the old version or leave it in place)
Instructor Lead – Virtual Training (ONLINE)
Duration – 5 Days (Mon-Fri)
Training classes run Monday to Friday and from 9am to approximately 4:30pm local time (AEST), with mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks, as well as a stop for lunch.
NEXT COURSE DATES: See Registration/Order form
Delivery – Virtual (Online Platform)
This course is conducted by a Flexera Certified and endorsed instructor with industry experience.
Online delivery is via an easy to use, globally recognised, virtual classroom platform – CloudShare.
This platform provides attendees with their own, suitably resourced and performant virtual machine(s) for use during the course – so the computer you use to attend the course does not need to be of a high specification as it’s only providing the web connection and browser access.
Certificate of Completion
A certificate of attendance is issued on completion.
To register for AdminStudio Training, please fill in the Order form, or e-mail or call the sales department at MicroWay on 1300 553 313. (Office hours 8:45am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday).